From: Pete Gavin <pete@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] added Gentoo-HOWTO
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:38:49
1 On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 06:03:52PM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
2 > sys-build is no longer used instead the packages listed in
3 > current-packages.build are used together with the USE flags
4 > "build" and "build-static".
5
6 Ok, I've removed the reference to sys-build.
9 > I don't think it is neccesary to add -gentoo to our patches.
10 > Sometimes it is better to store patches without the ${PV} because
11 > the same patch can be used for different versions.
12 > Sometimes it is better to store patches in files/${PV} to keep the list
13 > in files small.
14
15 Hmm... Yeah, I guess the -gentoo isn't entirely necessary, but in
16 certain cases, like when we update a kernel to a new version by using
17 a patch (which would simply be called something like linux-2.4.1.diff)
18 it *would* be necessary, and always using -gentoo would let others
19 know that the diff contains *our* modifications to the source tree,
20 instead of modifications we got somewhere else. And yes, if we have
21 alot of files that go with an ebuild, we should put them in
22 files/${PV}. I'll add that in to the howto. I think, though, that
23 patches should not be used between multiple versions of an ebuild,
24 because if they were, any changes/fixes that are made in the patch
25 would automatically be back-ported to previous versions of the
26 package. This totally defeats the purpose of having multiple revisions
27 of a package.
31 > How about creating a new package in app-doc and place the Gentoo-HOWTO
32 > in there.
33 >
34 > I want to make a doc for the USE variables and this can be placed there
35 > too.
36 >
37 > Daniel,
38 >
39 > What do you think about using docbook for these docs. The sgml-tools
40 > should work quite well and we can produce the following output formates:
41 > dvi html man pdf ps rtf tex texi txt.
42 > We can add our own html-backend or an xml backend that can be used
43 > for xslt transformation.
46 I know next to nothing about docbook/sgml/etc. Does anyone know a good
47 place to start learning about this?
48
49 Pete