From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ML changes
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 02:14:08
1 On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 08:13:53PM -0400, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2 > My thought is this: everyone should try and evaluate their own behaviour
3 > on this list, and the method in which they treat others. If each of us
4 > actually thought about the effects of our attitudes, this discussion
5 > might well be moot.
6 In the June meeting, I repeated my opinion that _every_ member of the
7 list (but esp. the developers) should strive to hold themselves to
8 FreeNode's Catalyst (http://freenode.net/catalysts.shtml) ideal.
9
10 This was related to the original goals of the CoC in the first place.
11 The CoC lost sight of the aim to get Gentoo to function better.
12
13 Whatever the council has tried, it seems that general history is being
14 repeated in microcosm with Gentoo: You cannot enforce morality nor
15 ethics.
16
17 At the same time, you cannot remove any that disrupt the community.
18 This includes both
19 - Forcibly: There are plenty that believe dropping Mr McCreesh and Mr
20 Long would improve the perceived health of the list. The opponents of
21 such call this censorship.
22 - and 'not feeding the trolls' because as long as they have an interest
23 in Gentoo itself, they will remain (for the same reason that
24 developers stay).
25
26 Thus the council (both the present one, as well as the incoming council)
27 stand between a rock and a very hard place. They stand charged with
28 improving the perception of Gentoo, improving communication on the lists
29 AND not alienating any part of the community.
30
31 Gentoo's principles are that of an open community. Many of us developers
32 joined (esp. the older ones) because we had an itch of our own to
33 scratch, and as that itch moved around within Gentoo, so did we.
34
35 I was invited to join Gentoo for working on ufed and the QA level of
36 use.desc. After those, I picked up maintaining MySQL and PHP, because
37 the previous maintainers (woodchip and rphillips respectively) had gone.
38 From thence, I created the first PHP team (with coredumb and stuart),
39 and started drifted around. I've been drifting since, as my own needs
40 and itches take me to various realms of Gentoo. The only major areas
41 that I haven't made some impact in have been games, GNOME, KDE, and GUI
42 apps (reflecting that I spend most of my time on a terminal).
43
44 It used to be a rite of passage that a new developer would break
45 something because they didn't realize one of the side-effects of their
46 actions (seemant has experience there, which lead to revdep-rebuild),
47 and then helped to fix it up, better than it was before. One step
48 backwards, two steps forward.
49
50 Compare it to now, and I read things like bug #184597, and I am ashamed
51 to see that 3 teams rebuffed a potential new developer. That degree of
52 elitism just hurts. I understand Gentoo has always been a meritocracy,
53 but it is an open one, that lets folk get started regardless.
54
55 How do we get Gentoo back to where it was? That I cannot answer.
56
57 But I will state, that while I am not running for a council position
58 next year, I would like to remain with Gentoo a long time, even if it's
59 just an lone developer, with no work in Infrastructure or any other
60 leadership group (I'm in Infrastructure because my skills are helpful to
61 them).
62
63 I won't leave just because I disagree with some management decision that
64 Council makes. I might be stubborn and disenchanted for some time
65 (witness the many murmurs of discontent), but it's against my own best
66 interests to leave Gentoo. As it was put before, if you leave, the Fungi
67 will win.
70 Robin Hugh Johnson
71 Gentoo Linux Developer & Council Member
72 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
73 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85