From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ML changes
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 00:17:06
1 On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 10:33 -0700, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > *sigh*
4
5 It seems impossible to have any sort of discussion with you (unless one
6 is in agreement with you, of course, and then one is "clear headed")
7 without eliciting a *sigh* -- I don't think it's particularly the
8 healthiest way to have one. If you simply don't like disagreement, then
9 please be clear about that.
10
11 > Why is it that everyone always assumes everything the Council does is
12 > "out to get Ciaran" rather than something we see as a good global
13 > solution to our current problems?
14
15 Well, it would be great if the council can clearly outline what exactly
16 our current problems are. Maybe if you presented those problems and
17 then presented the proposed solutions to them, things would be easier to
18 understand?
21 > Here's a little hint for all of you conspiracy theorists out there.
22 >
23 > If all we wanted was to get rid of Ciaran, we'd just have a fucking vote
24 > to get rid of Ciaran and make all of this *SO* much simpler on
25 > ourselves.
26
27 This is again a disparaging and unhealthy way to have a discussion. I'm
28 going to request that if you will respond to my notes, please do so with
29 some modicum of civility and respect. If you find yourself unable to do
30 so, then please do not respond to me at all.
31
32 > We're trying to solve the problem of people, *ALL* people, treating each
33 > other like complete crap on our lists. The "problem" has been an issue
34 > of discipline. We've simply got too many people who are too scared to
35 > take any actions to resolve these problems. Why do you think Developer
36 > Relations has all of these procedures and policies for retiring
37 > developers? Is it because we need all of that to determine if someone
38 > has crossed the line? No. It's because we have a large number of
39 > developers (or possibly even just a very vocal minority) who complain
40 > about every single damn thing anyone ever does and it has been much
41 > simpler to make up these ridiculous guidelines and rules to follow in an
42 > attempt to curb the dissenters than it is to just deal with them.
43
44 Well, your own method of responding to my note is a good example of
45 treating others like crap. How do we solve that? The problem with
46 moderation is that nobody censors speech with which they agree, but
47 quick to censor that with which they don't.
48
49 So, here we have an example of one of the possible problems that you
50 alluded to earlier: a vocal minority unable to pick its battles, and
51 which engages in endless nitpicking. Why not just have the "fucking
52 vote to get rid of [them] and make all of this *SO* much simpler on
53 ourselves" then? Why should the vast majority of people on this list
54 have to pay for what is, evidently, a minority?
55
56 If, on the other hand, it's not a minority, then doesn't that indicate
57 that the issue is on a deeper level? And if so, wouldn't it be more
58 prudent to try and solve that one, instead?
61 > I say drop the rules to something simple that makes sense, boot the
62 > troublemakers, and ignore the dissenters. I'll gladly help anyone make
63 > up any procmail recipes they need to filter their mail. Let's get back
64 > to developing and leave the politics to Obama and Hillary.
65
66 This is a little worrisome, you know. Perhaps you didn't mean this set
67 of statements to sound as all-encompassing as all that. Isn't dissent
68 and disagreement the result of differing points of view, which could
69 actually benefit Gentoo?
70
71 My thought is this: everyone should try and evaluate their own behaviour
72 on this list, and the method in which they treat others. If each of us
73 actually thought about the effects of our attitudes, this discussion
74 might well be moot.
75
76 Thanks,
77