From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ML changes
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:37:58
1 On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 03:11 -0400, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2 > What I find absolutely astounding is how much power Ciaran (we all know
3 > the elephant in the room that motivates this newest council
4 > announcement) wields over Gentoo.
5
6 *sigh*
7
8 Why is it that everyone always assumes everything the Council does is
9 "out to get Ciaran" rather than something we see as a good global
10 solution to our current problems?
11
12 Here's a little hint for all of you conspiracy theorists out there.
13
14 If all we wanted was to get rid of Ciaran, we'd just have a fucking vote
15 to get rid of Ciaran and make all of this *SO* much simpler on
16 ourselves.
17
18 We're trying to solve the problem of people, *ALL* people, treating each
19 other like complete crap on our lists. The "problem" has been an issue
20 of discipline. We've simply got too many people who are too scared to
21 take any actions to resolve these problems. Why do you think Developer
22 Relations has all of these procedures and policies for retiring
23 developers? Is it because we need all of that to determine if someone
24 has crossed the line? No. It's because we have a large number of
25 developers (or possibly even just a very vocal minority) who complain
26 about every single damn thing anyone ever does and it has been much
27 simpler to make up these ridiculous guidelines and rules to follow in an
28 attempt to curb the dissenters than it is to just deal with them.
29
30 I say drop the rules to something simple that makes sense, boot the
31 troublemakers, and ignore the dissenters. I'll gladly help anyone make
32 up any procmail recipes they need to filter their mail. Let's get back
33 to developing and leave the politics to Obama and Hillary.
36 Chris Gianelloni
37 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
38 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
39 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
40 Gentoo Foundation