From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ML changes
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 07:15:13
1 Thanks for expressing your point of view that clearly. I stand with
2 you. Gentoo, for a while, has been taking itself *way* too seriously.
3 Perhaps that mentality is part of the inevitability of a project's
4 evolution through its own stages of life. Or perhaps, it's just human
5 nature to shriek in a frenzy about things we don't like, and demand that
6 "something must be done" and "won't someone please think of the
7 children????" which brings this sort of action about.
8
9 I've said for a while now (on this list, on my blogs) -- bad behaviour
10 happens on this list because we (as a community) allow it to happen. If
11 it's not encouraged and trolls are not fed, they die out. Part of the
12 thrill of someone raising a pointless argument and picking on
13 ridiculously petty details is the satisfaction gained from others taking
14 that stupidity seriously and wasting their (and everyone else's) time
15 with it.
16
17 So I say to you (the developer community): stop the insanity. This
18 whole business of whitelisting is rather a ridiculous notion, that is
19 not scalable and serves only to create distance between those with
20 @gentoo.org addresses and those without. As a result, the @gentoo.org
21 island isolates itself even further than it is already. That in turn,
22 only worsens whatever problems we perceive.
23
24 What I find absolutely astounding is how much power Ciaran (we all know
25 the elephant in the room that motivates this newest council
26 announcement) wields over Gentoo. You know what? The fact that Gentoo
27 as an entity still reacts to one person this way means, in all but name,
28 that Ciaran actually is the de-facto lead developer of Gentoo.
29
30 This leaves two courses of action.
31
32 1. Officially install him as such; or
33 2. Stop letting him wield his power over you. (yes, you, not us --
34 concentrate on how much you let him affect you).
38 Thanks,
39
40 Seemant