From: James Harlow <james@××××××××××××××.nu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Brainstorming how to collaboratively work on kernels
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:22:54
1 On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 11:02:41PM +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > > Both p4 and BK can export to open-source formats, like CVS. The fact
3 > > that some kernel developers (like linus) use bk, and other developers
4 > > don't have to, suggests that Gentoo could do the same thing.
5 >
6 > Does the kernel have a social contract ?
7
8 I'm not sure how this is relevant - my point is that if BK disappeared
9 tomorrow, no source would be lost, and the kernel source (the "product")
10 wouldn't have to be changed. Contrast that with, for example, if RedHat
11 built its packages with ICC - if ICC was to disappear tomorrow, RedHat
12 would certainly have to change their packages next time they rebuilt -
13 thus, they would have been dependent on it.
14
15 Personally, I think the social contract is desperately ambiguous, and
16 I'd like to see "depend upon" changed to "use", but I don't think that
17 (as it stands) the kernel developers using BK but exporting CVS is
18 contrary to it.
19
20 If I write ebuilds with TextPad, is that a breach of the SC?
23 When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. - Jonathan Swift
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list