From: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecation of virtual/libmysqlclient and virtual/mysql as providers for libmysqlclient.so
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 04:45:06
1 On Mon, 2018-07-23 at 14:18 -0400, Brian Evans wrote:
2 > With the current state of the forks of MySQL diverging, the client
3 > libraries are no longer compatible.
4 >
5 > Since virtual packages cannot handle rebuilds of subscribed packages
6 > when a consumer changes, the following action is to be taken by all
7 > developers:
8 >
9 > If you need libmysqlclient.so, please depend on dev-db/mysql-
10 > connector-c.
11 > If you need or can use libmariadb.so, please depend on
12 > dev-db/mariadb-connector-c.
13 >
14 > (Yes the above packages coexist just fine.)
15 >
16 > Please remove references to virtual/libmysqlclient as it does not
17 > work
18 > as I intended (and explained above). This virtual will be last-rites
19 > once nothing depends on it.
20 >
21 > Please remove all DEPEND on virtual/mysql where it is used for
22 > libraries.
23 > virtual/mysql is the client and server tools *only*.
24 > It is not correct to rely on this for libraries any longer.
25 > A good example for DEPEND is tests where the client/server binaries
26 > are run.
27 > RDEPEND for the purpose of running client/server is fine for
28 > virtual/mysql.
29 >
30 > Almost all of the consumers of virtual/mysql have already been
31 > updated
32 > (save mysql-cluster). Some are already stable.
33 >
34 > At a point in the future, likely in 2019, the compatibility DEPEND
35 > that
36 > exist in the consumers will be removed and may break packages which
37 > are
38 > not updated.
39 >
40 > In the coming months, I will try my best to test and report bugs on
41 > packages which I can find.
42 >
43 > I welcome any discussion on the details, but this is the only sane
44 > move
45 > for Gentoo and the ABI incompatibilities that exist on the client
46 > libraries.
47 >
48 > Thank you,
49 >
50 > Brian Evans
53 How do you plan on dispatching against them at compile/link-time, i.e.
54 USE=libav/graphicsmagick/libressl?
55
56 David