From: Philippe Namias <pn@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] more gnome-apps ebuild (and resend blufish ebuild)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 04:23:33
1 On Wednesday 21 March 2001 02:48, you wrote:
2 > Philippe Namias wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 15 March 2001 14:39, you wrote:
4 > > > Philippe Namias wrote:
5 > > > > On Wednesday 07 March 2001 15:55, you wrote:
6 > > > > > Philippe Namias wrote:
7 > > > > > > > Thank you philippe,
8 > > > > > > >
9 > > > > > > > Can you take care that all you ebuild's install man and info
10 > > > > > > > pages to /opt/gnome/share/{man,info} and that
11 > > > > > > > etc stuff goes into /etc/opt/gnome. These are the places FHS2.1
12 > > > > > > > uses. Stuff like ssh, pam, bonobo, readline, nls (gettext)
13 > > > > > > > support should be only build-in if the USE flags are set.
14 > > > > > >
15 > > > > > > Ok i will do as you said. I will give a try to gnome 1.4. beta 2
16 > > > > > > tonight and report bug if any (but i am sure any as you done it:)
17 > > > > >
18 > > > > > I'm sure there are bugs in the dependencies. I will test them after
19 > > > > > I'm finished with updating.
20 > > > >
21 > > > > I compiled gnome 1.4 (no dependancy problem) i just foud some missing
22 > > > > headers in packages so i email to the maintainer of the package.
23 > > >
24 > > > Can you tell me what packages miss headers?
25 > >
26 > > So the package:
27 > >
28 > > gal-0.5
29 > > gconf-0.50
30 > > oaf-0.6.4
31 >
32 > Hmm, I can remember some problems like that. The cause is that the file
33 > 90gnome from the gnome-1.4_beta2 package must be installed first.
34 > The packages you named compile without errors but can not find the other
35 > gnome packages and do not add
36 > the support for that. For example oaf needs ORBit support and gconf
37 > gdkimlib.
38 >
39 > This is a new problem. The older versions of ebuild resolved runtime
40 > dependencies of a package after the package was merged. This did not
41 > fully work because some packages require binaries from rdepend packages
42 > in their plk_postinst functions. So now rdependen packages get merged
43 > first and after that the package.
44 > Additionaly packages can now only be merged if all rdependencies are
45 > resolved.
46 >
47 > So in the old days (about a month ago) we simply merged the gnome-1.2
48 > package first and after that all the gnome-stuff compiled without
49 > problems.
50 >
51 > There could be a workaround. If we make packages for the env-files and
52 > add these env packages to the build/runtime dependencies of all gnome
53 > packages the problems should be solved.
54
55 I agree but how we deal with multiple instance of gnome or kde
56 Example i installed kde 2.1 so i got /opt/kde2.1 so i need to link all my
57 apps to kde 2.1 (not 2.0 or 2.1.1), for gnome we didn't have this problem as
58 we install all in /opt/gnome.
59 So shall we putt something like a KDE_VER in the env, so when we compile a
60 package we look at the actual version of kde and installing package in that
61 direcory?
64 > But all the dependencies of
65 > packages not installing into /usr and depending on an environment coming
66 > from one of the /etc/env.d/ files
67 > (beside 00basic) must be updated.
68
69 Should we also make the gnome env file available if we are installing just a
70 gnome-base stuff (gnome-libs oaf) sometimes required by other application but
71 without all the gnome stuff needed
72
73 Today they have released gnome-1.4 RC1:)
76 > Comments please.
77 >
78 > > > > But globally gnome-1.4 is slow like the hell when running with
79 > > > > nautilus 0.8.2 (my workstation : a Bi-Processor PIII-800 with 512Mo )
80 > > > > but the funny part of it, is that gnome-1.4 start a lot faster than
81 > > > > gnome1.2 .
82 > > >
83 > > > Hmm, it runs slower that with mc but not slow as hell. :-)
84 > > > On what arch did you build i486-pc-linux-gnu (-m486 -O2) are the
85 > > > defaults in rc4_pre2.
86 > > > I used i686-pc-linunx-gnu for testing over here.
87 > > > Did you try to build nautilus with mozilla?
88 > > > I think I found the right c++ flags and compilation works. Mozilla and
89 > > > nautilus both run but the
90 > > > embedded_mozilla component in nautilus allways segfaults.
91 > >
92 > > I build it with -O2 -mpentium (arch=i686) but i find it slow but it's a
93 > > beta so...
94 > > I build nautilus with the gtkhtml component so i need to try with the
95 > > mozilla embeded component (i will take a look at this but the main
96 > > problem is that mozilla get times to compile so i hope to have something
97 > > till the end of the week.
98 > >
99 > :-) Mozilla needed about 2 1/2 hours here. It's a mess to experience
100 >
101 > with such a package.
102 >
103 > Anyone out there who want's to make a package for openoffice ?
104 One Day and a half of compilation so now i prefer Mozilla:)
105 >
106 > > > I hope I have more time to spend to gentoo next week. This week I was
107 > > > very busy with other works, so
108 > > > sorry that I did not commit your packages yet.
109 > >
110 > > That's ok Daniel Robbins granted me access to the CVS so i commit stuff
111 > > myself.
112 >
113 > Yes that is definately a good decision.
114 >
115 > Welcome in the team.
116 Thanks
117 >