From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 38: Status of forum moderators in the Gentoo project
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:17:24
1 Anders Hellgren wrote:
2 > BonezTheGoon: Don't know, inactive
3 > phong: Don't know, inactive
4 > pilla: Reluctant, but hasn't said he would refuse.
5 [snip the ones who will take it or where it's not necessary]
6
7 We're talking about 3 people in the worst case. I don't know how long
8 they have been inactive, so I assume we have 3 people who don't want to
9 take the quiz. GLEP 38 says:
10
11 "As moderators are pretty much exposed to the public (forums users, but
12 also used as contact person for requests that should go to the PR
13 department or the trustees) they need to have some knowledge about
14 Gentoo's internal structure as well as contact to the other developers."
15
16 I absolutely agree with this, and that's exactly what the staff quiz is
17 for. The quiz has 8 questions, they're all quite easy. For those
18 moderators who have been moderating for years, it shouldn't take longer
19 than 15 minutes.
20
21 One argument I heard was, that it's not the quiz which is too hard, but
22 people think it's not okay to force moderators to take it to continue
23 their work. I partly agree with this too, I know, the quiz is also (but
24 still not only!) bureaucracy, but looking at this thread it seems to be
25 much less bureaucracy compared to this discussion. To solve this
26 problem, it will take 3 people to spend 15 minutes on a quiz they don't
27 like. Or it will take many more hours to discuss it over and over again.
28
29 Sorry, but this looks a bit ridiculous to me.
30
31 Regards,
34 Simon Stelling
35 Gentoo/AMD64 Operational Co-Lead