From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: removing the server profiles...
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 17:20:14
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 01/19/2013 12:05 PM, Duncan wrote:
5 > Ben de Groot posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 18:47:58 +0800 as excerpted:
6 >
7 >> On 19 January 2013 18:26, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
8 >>> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
9 >>> wrote:
10 >>>>
11 >>>> People who do have printers can always enable [USE=cups] themselves.
12 >>>>
13 >>> Unless we plan on adding yet another profile for "normal" users I think
14 >>> this is really pushing it.
15 >>
16 >>> Yes, I'm sure some people don't own printers. However, that figure has
17 >>> to be fairly low.
18 >>
19 >> I'm not so sure about that. The majority of my friends and colleagues
20 >> don't own a printer. When we do need to print something, it would be for
21 >> work, so we have it printed at work.
22 >
23 > I recently heard someone /else/ recommend no printer, pointing out that
24 > it was an additional expense without a lot of practical benefit for many,
25 > since ink is expensive, the cheap printers are fiddly and often break,
26 > and if you /really/ want something printed, it's easy enough to load it
27 > on a thumb-drive and take it to kinkos or the library (or as Ben
28 > suggests, work).
29 >
30 > I had come to that conclusion for myself some time ago and haven't had a
31 > printer in years... I won't do inkjet and I always seem to have something
32 > better to do with the money that'd buy a decent laser. But it was still
33 > rather surprising to me, as like Rich, I'm from the generation where it
34 > was just assumed that if you had a computer, you had, and needed, a
35 > printer. So to hear (it was a meatspace conversation, with "average
36 > folks", not geeks) someone ELSE say "take it to kinko's if you want to
37 > print something" was /indeed/ quite surprising/enlightening.
38
39 Removing cups from the default profile and putting it in the desktop
40 profile makes sense. I don't print from everything, but I often print
41 from things using the desktop profile. If a user really doesn't want
42 cups they can always adjust their make.conf. Let's not bikeshed on this
43 forever, we are only setting a sane default not removing the user's choice.
44
45 Honestly it can be as simple as "cups is default now and removing that
46 will break a lot of desktop users". So again, I vote for moving it to
47 the desktop profile, but not for removing it altogether as that would
48 break a lot of users.
49
50 - -Zero
53 > So yes, I suppose it really is a generational/cultural thing. "The
54 > tablet generation" and "the smartphone generation" are rather more likely
55 > to find the idea of simply assuming that everyone with a computer/tablet/
56 > smartphone also has a bulky/balky printer... rather quaint.