From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: removing the server profiles...
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 17:06:14
1 Ben de Groot posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 18:47:58 +0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 19 January 2013 18:26, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> People who do have printers can always enable [USE=cups] themselves.
8 >>>
9 >> Unless we plan on adding yet another profile for "normal" users I think
10 >> this is really pushing it.
11 >
12 >> Yes, I'm sure some people don't own printers. However, that figure has
13 >> to be fairly low.
14 >
15 > I'm not so sure about that. The majority of my friends and colleagues
16 > don't own a printer. When we do need to print something, it would be for
17 > work, so we have it printed at work.
18
19 I recently heard someone /else/ recommend no printer, pointing out that
20 it was an additional expense without a lot of practical benefit for many,
21 since ink is expensive, the cheap printers are fiddly and often break,
22 and if you /really/ want something printed, it's easy enough to load it
23 on a thumb-drive and take it to kinkos or the library (or as Ben
24 suggests, work).
25
26 I had come to that conclusion for myself some time ago and haven't had a
27 printer in years... I won't do inkjet and I always seem to have something
28 better to do with the money that'd buy a decent laser. But it was still
29 rather surprising to me, as like Rich, I'm from the generation where it
30 was just assumed that if you had a computer, you had, and needed, a
31 printer. So to hear (it was a meatspace conversation, with "average
32 folks", not geeks) someone ELSE say "take it to kinko's if you want to
33 print something" was /indeed/ quite surprising/enlightening.
34
35 So yes, I suppose it really is a generational/cultural thing. "The
36 tablet generation" and "the smartphone generation" are rather more likely
37 to find the idea of simply assuming that everyone with a computer/tablet/
38 smartphone also has a bulky/balky printer... rather quaint.
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman