From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 03:15:41
1 On 9/2/06, Wiktor Wandachowicz <siryes@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I suppose that there is a way that Gentoo can follow, only that its leaders,
3 > developers and users need to see it clearly. Is there a publicly visible
4 > page that contains current goals for new releases? Where all sub-project
5 > leaders could add their own goals, coherent with the general vision?
6 > I couldn't find it, but maybe I haven't looked in the right places?
7
8 The problem I see is that for Gentoo the releases are not really
9 useful milestones for most projects. A release is really significant
10 for a few core packages, but what is the real downside for users if
11 Xorg 7.2 is stabilized one week after a release? Outside of the fact
12 that they have to compile it themselves instead of using the GRP
13 package...not much that I see.
14
15 For a distro like Ubuntu, a release is very significant, as it is the
16 platform that users will be running for the next 6-18 months.
17
18 Do you think Ubuntu roadmaps would be useful without being tied to a
19 release? Or could project status reports (as discussed here recently)
20 fit the same bill?
21
22 > Maybe I should raise such concerns to the User Representatives first
23
24 No, definitely not. The point of user reps (of which I am one) is not
25 to filter communications between devs and users, but to improve the
26 communications between the two camps, among other things. If you want
27 to bring an idea up here directly, nobody should respond with "talk to
28 your userrep".
29
30 -Richard
31 --