From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 21:34:13
1 On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 5:27 PM, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 28 July 2014 08:56, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 >>
6 >> > To me it seems like a simple data model bug that vdb does not get
7 >> > updated to reflect the new situation after step 2 above.
8 >>
9 >> Rewriting VDB won't help if the user doesn't sync at the right time.
10 >
11 > Indeed. pkgmove has this problem solved with a mass of quarterly move files,
12 > but I'm not sure I'd want to have
13
14 Does it matter? If a user never syncs again, they'll have a broken
15 package (though portage won't realize it). If they wait until the
16 package is removed from the tree before syncing then they'll still
17 have a broken package. If the broken package happens to work for
18 them, then the user won't care, and if it doesn't work for them,
19 they'll sync in the updates one way or another (using an overlay if
20 necessary).
21
22 As far as I can tell, the only thing that is needed for this to work
23 is for portage to be able to detect when an installed package
24 dependency changes in the repository, and this could be facilitated by
25 metadata. Maintainers would then revbump when a change can't be
26 correctly handled, and they won't revbump when it can be.
27
28 Do we have to guarantee that users who don't sync before a PV is
29 removed get all updates to that PV if they have it installed when they
30 eventually do sync? If I have some package installed that was
31 treecleaned a year ago and it depends on udev then obviously it won't
32 know anything about the new virtual - we live with that already
33 without too many problems. Bottom line is that bad things happen if
34 you hang onto packages that aren't maintained in some repository
35 (possibly your overlay maintained by yourself).
36
37 Rich