From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 21:27:07
1 On 28 July 2014 08:56, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > > To me it seems like a simple data model bug that vdb does not get
5 > > updated to reflect the new situation after step 2 above.
6 >
7 > Rewriting VDB won't help if the user doesn't sync at the right time.
10 Indeed. pkgmove has this problem solved with a mass of quarterly move
11 files, but I'm not sure I'd want to have
12
13 a) However many `depchange` entries required to make it happen linger on
14 for all eternity in some cruft file just in case people don't sync more
15 than once every 2 years: ( Yes, we still have an updates/1Q-2009 file for
16 people stuck in a time warp who need change updates )
17
18 b) The burden of maintainers having to manually update that index. ( That's
19 effectively what the -r1.1 and INSTALL_FROM proposals amount to )
20
21 The only saving grace here if we applied this strategy, is we could
22 conceivably generate the index in an automated fashion due to ebuild edits
23 usually being more obvious to an SCM than a move is. ( And you could
24 conceivably generate them by simply comparing snapshot diffs without any
25 SCM involvement )
32 Kent
33
34 *KENTNL* - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL