From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What's going on with the tmpfiles eclasses?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 13:32:42
1 On Fri, 2019-04-26 at 09:24 -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 4/26/19 9:07 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > > I don't think so -- not if it needs that tmpfiles
4 > > > entry to be processed every reboot. Thus it should have its own RDEPEND
5 > > > on virtual/tmpfiles, making the one in the eclass redundant.
6 > >
7 > > It doesn't need to be processed every reboot. It needs to be processed
8 > > at least once. Now, if you were doing something fancy like having
9 > > /var/cache on tmpfs, then it would need to be processed on reboot.
12 > If /var/cache/eix can be deleted, then the tmpfiles entry needs to be
13 > processed on every reboot. If /var/cache/eix cannot be deleted, then a
14 > tmpfiles entry is the wrong way to create it: keepdir should be used
15 > instead.
16
17 Whether it can be deleted is up to system's configuration. The current
18 solution works for majority of cases, including a. people who use
19 systemd or OpenRC, and set their systems to clean it up, and b. people
20 who don't use either but don't clean it up.
21
22 We can't support everyone, and a small potential minority for whose this
23 might not work is no excuse to replace it with a worse solution.
26 Best regards,
27 Michał Górny