From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glep 42 (news) round six
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:16:47
1 Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 06:23:55AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >
4 >>On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:50:47 -0800 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
5 >>| You haven't stated how the 'package manager' will trigger the user's
6 >>| reader of choice for these targets. Should also extend this to allow
7 >>| a way to disable any news notices, lest someone's cronjob get hung
8 >>| displaying news (feature or not, it's needed).
9 >>
10 >>The same way the package manager handles updating config files: it
11 >>won't. It'll just tell the user that some news items need reading.
14 > And you'll personally handle all of the bug spam from feature requests
15 > that --ask trigger $news_reader?
16 >
17 > It's a logical extension, thus people will ask for it.
18
19 I don't think so.
20 How many people have asked for etc-update integration?
21
22 >>| implementation issue; you need locking on this. If portage has to
23 >>| farm out to the users reader of choice, then it needs to lock the
24 >>| file to keep readers/writers from screwing with each other.
25 >>
26 >>We do? Marius told me it wasn't worth it.
27 >
28 > I disagree. It's mainly contingent upon $news_reader being spawned
29 > via --ask, although it *also* matters heavily if the user is flipping
30 > through their news while a sync in the background is running- if the
31 > utility updates on the way out, unless their is some advisorial
32 > locking involved, you've just lost all of the new synced unread news.
33
34 To quote myself:
35 "Granted race conditions might be an issue (where the solution
36 complicates tools), but that's so minor I wouldn't really care about
37 it."
38 That I wouldn't care about it isn't a general recommendation to ignore
39 the issue. Yes, for a perfect solution it is required, but do we aim for
40 a perfect solution?
41
42 >>| > News items can be removed (by removing the news file from the main
43 >>| > tree) when they are no longer relevant, if they are made obsolete
44 >>| > by a future news item or after a long period of time. This is the
45 >>| > same as the method used for ``updates`` entries.
46 >>|
47 >>| implementation issue; updating unread/skip crap so it doesn't bloat
48 >>| is required, but time frame also matters (crap sync resulting in news
49 >>| getting removed, yet it still being valid, just missing from the
50 >>| local tree).
51 >>
52 >>Hrm. We can't take the same approach here as we do with expiring
53 >>updates entries?
54 >
55 > We expire updates? If so, someone might want to look at the updates
56 > from 3 years back...
57
58 Yeah, mainly me dropping old files sometimes (happened two times so far
59 IIRC), so not a general policy documented anywhere (just doing it when I
60 get annoyed by portage re-applying ancient entries).
61
62 Another new issue nobody has mentioned yet:
63 The GLEP doesn't say anything about file permissions/ownership as in who
64 will/should be able to a) read news and b) modify the news-* files.
65 Without thinking too much about it I'd say a) users in portage group and
66 b) root.
67
68 Marius
69 --