From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Multiple Repo Support
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 22:31:34
1 On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:17:13 -0800 Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com> wrote:
2 | > What the heck is this 'gentoo' thing, and how does it help? Shoving
3 | > newsdir into portageq doesn't help *at all* with multiple repository
4 | > support.
5 |
6 | Like I said in a previous email, 'gentoo' corresponds to
7 | 'magic-chicken' in your news-magic-chicken.unread files. The news
8 | reader app gets the repo identifier from the news-*.unread files and
9 | plugs that into portageq to get the directory where the corresponding
10 | new items can be found.
11
12 This still leaves us with the "what are the identifiers and how do we
13 use them?" problem, except that it moves it deeper down into the "how
14 do I determine whether this news item is relevant?" area. And the only
15 way to get around that would be to move even more code into Portage
16 than you're already proposing.
19 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
20 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
21 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm