From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: formally allow qa to suspend commit rights
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 19:42:22
1 On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 7:34 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 01/22/2014 03:00 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> I don't want to appear rude, but when reading this entire mail all I see
4 >> is someone who has probably never had to do it for real.
5 >>
6 >> People are not machines. Volunteers really do not like having their
7 >> freely given time nullified and access removed because one person
8 >> thought it was deserved.
9 >
10 > Well ...
11 >
12 > if these persons actively break things, and endanger others, *and* they
13 > don't respond to multiple verbal warnings/threats ...
14 >
15 > ... what would you do?
16
17 So, this was what I was trying to get at in my email. I see a couple
18 of different models being thrown around and they really differ on the
19 guidelines as to how QA would apply the power to suspend devs.
20
21 One scenario that came up is the runaway script. Some dev is doing
22 something that is going to create a lot of work to fix and it gets
23 noticed. QA can't quickly ping them, so they suspend access to halt
24 the damage. Presumably they then fire off an email saying, "hey, I
25 noticed your script was doing foo and suspended your access to halt it
26 until we talk about it - let me know when you've terminated your
27 scripts and I'll get your access reinstated - ping me when you get a
28 chance."
29
30 That's very different from the scenario you're suggesting, which
31 amounts to deliberate ignoring of warnings and thus they require a
32 semi-permanent ban that might become permanent.
33
34 The first scenario could happen to the best of us. The second
35 shouldn't. The first is purely a technical solution to a technical
36 problem. The second is a people problem, being mitigated with a
37 technical solution. A ban might be inevitable, but what should the
38 process be?
39
40 Has the QA team discussed this internally and come to some kind of
41 consensus about just what they want their role to actually be? I can
42 see an argument being made for many different possible roles. What I
43 really am most concerned about is understanding just what the role of
44 QA is and how the way we do QA accomplishes as much as possible with
45 the least burnout for all impacted. I'm all for policy changes in
46 support of this, but I'd rather see us hash out how we want to make it
47 work and turn it into policy and not create a policy and then figure
48 out how to make it work.
49
50 Rich