From: Nick Jones <carpaski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Distribuited build
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 17:03:28
1 OpenMosix is not a viable option for compiling with "make -j".
2 The threads of a source file building do not exist long enough
3 to be migrated. I tired it... Didn't do very well.
4
5 > Paul de Vrieze wrote:
6 > > On Sunday 09 June 2002 22:31, Marko Mikulicic wrote
9 > > While I didn't test it yet, openmosix could be a solution for better
10 > > utilization of your computing power. Parallel dependencies are sometimes
11 > > difficult (cross dependencies), also it would require tweaks to emerge
14 > Well, I delibertely left out openmosix because it is automatically
15 > supported with make -j n. However there is a big issue with it:
16 > Openmosix process migration can distribute the load of a single system
17 > through a cluster but if you install n packages they are build in
18 > sequence so that only compiles from a single build get eventually
19 > distributed. And it's even worst when some packages have parallel build
20 > disabled.
21 > Moreover openmosix is not applicable in a etherogeneous network, whith
22 > freebsd, linux, win32, tru64, linux-alpha machines, while distcc can
23 > execute cross-compilers on every architecture (windows too).
24 > and openmosix requires all to run a special kernel, administrative
25 > issues,.... I think that something lighter is needed, for it to be
26 > really useful. I have access to a LAN with 16 PIV 1.5Gh but with any
27 > kindof linux distros, versions, libraries, users. The only
28 > administrative power I have is to run niced jobs and a good amount of
29 > ram.
30 >
31 > However the problem is not openmosix vs. distcc, while both are
32 > completely transparent with portage and both have the same problem:
33 > sequential builds.
34 >
35 > As for cross dependencies, how does portage handle the now? There could
36 > a queue for each pending build where dependent build are added.
37 > RDEPEND does not conflict with paralell builds.
38 > I agree this would require tweaks to emerge. I think it's not
39 > urgent in portage1, but it could go in portage2, which with it's added
40 > performance could resolve this kind of dependence in acceptable time.
41 > What do you think ?
42 >
43 > Marko