From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 18:46:12
1 On Sun, 5 Aug 2001 15:39:04 -0600 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 10:27:44PM +0100, Rev. Brendan Murphy wrote:
5 >
6 > > Just a few questions :-
7 > >
8 > > 1. Problem with my isp cuts me off at regular intervals, so is
9 > > it posible to install gentoo by downloading the pkgs ect. install
10 > > scripts and install from a partition.
11 >
12 > We have a build CD that is only around 40 Megs or so; maybe that would
13 > work?
14 >
15 > > 2. GCC can compile for the K6 family of processors can portage
16 > > add this option not i586.
17
18 Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I presume that you can add anything that
19 is legitimate for the GCC compiler in /etc/make.conf CHOST=, CFLAGS=,
20 CXXFLAGS=, and portage will use it.
23 > You can add the appropriate options to /etc/make.conf.
24 >
25 > > 3. Why do all linux distros presume we are attatched to a
26 > > network via lan my computer is a standalone no network card.
27 >
28 > Don't know :)
31 I'll presume to answer your question. All distros do not presume a
32 network connection. Many of the distros are supplied on CDROM, and some
33 even provide an update service on CDROM. You can certainly try one of
34 these.
35
36 Gentoo is by design an install-and-upgrade-from-source distro; a network
37 connection is required. Gentoo is still very much in start up mode - not
38 even at version 1.0. I get good results using my cable connection, but I
39 might not be as pleased if I had only a 56K dialup connection or, God
40 forbid, no connection.
41
42 I would think that Gentoo as well will offer CDROMs once they have all of
43 the other distro details nailed down, but that doesn't appear to be in the
44 cards right now. There's too much work left to do to worry about
45 distributing CDROMs.
46
47 I'm a committed Gentoo fan, and I don't want to scare you off, but you
48 might want to try something like VectorLinux. They offer a workable,
49 up-to-date distro that uses minimal space, and a CDROM is available. But
50 you'll still want to download additional software, and that's going to be
51 painful, especially if you don't have a reliable ISP.
52
53 Or, maybe you have a friend with a high speed connection that could
54 download and burn CDROMs for you?
55
56 ---
57 Collins Richey