From: jano <jano@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: All Developers!
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 12:08:30
1 Hi,
2
3 drobbins gave the rule. Please STOP cluttering my mailbox with this!
4
5 jano
8 > Mikael Hallendal writes:
9 >
10 >> Hmm .. imho it's much easier to read with the \ aligned.
11 >
12 > I disagree. I don't like aligned / (or, for example, aligned
13 > variables in C programs) very much. If you insert a new line that is
14 > longer than the existing lines you might have to reformat the other
15 > lines too. If you commit your changes to the CVS and look at the
16 > changes with "cvs diff" not only the newly inserted line but also all
17 > the reformatted lines are displayed which is really annoying.
18 >
19 > For example, if you have these lines:
20 >
21 > ./configure --host=${CHOST} \
22 > --prefix=/usr \
23 > --mandir=/usr/share/man
24 >
25 > Now you add two new, very long options:
26 >
27 > ./configure --host=${CHOST} \
28 > --prefix=/usr \
29 > --mandir=/usr/share/man \
30 > --with-openssl-include=/usr/include/openssl \
31 > --with-openssl-libraries=/usr/lib/openssl
32 >
33 > Because of the alignment more lines than really necessary have to be
34 > changed, which clutters the output of "cvs diff".
35 >
36 >> I think we can do this by supplying a emacs/vi-mode for editing
37 >> ebuilds. Those modes should be strict and force the developer to do
38 >> it right.
39 >
40 > Hm, it's easier to base the ebuild mode on Emacsen's sh-mode than to
41 > write a new mode from scratch. But sh-mode doesn't allow tabs at the
42 > end of lines; and I don't know if it is possible to change the mode's
43 > behaviour easily.
44 >
45 > After looking at Emacsen's sh-mode, I think that the following style,
46 > that uses tabs at the beginning of lines and neither tabs nor spaces at
47 > the end of lines, would be the easiest style to implement:
48 >
49 > ./configure --host=${CHOST} \
50 > --prefix=/usr \
51 > --mandir=/usr/share/man