From: Andreas Voegele <voegelas@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: All Developers!
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 10:05:03
1 Mikael Hallendal writes:
2
3 > Hmm .. imho it's much easier to read with the \ aligned.
4
5 I disagree. I don't like aligned / (or, for example, aligned
6 variables in C programs) very much. If you insert a new line that is
7 longer than the existing lines you might have to reformat the other
8 lines too. If you commit your changes to the CVS and look at the
9 changes with "cvs diff" not only the newly inserted line but also all
10 the reformatted lines are displayed which is really annoying.
11
12 For example, if you have these lines:
13
14 ./configure --host=${CHOST} \
15 --prefix=/usr \
16 --mandir=/usr/share/man
17
18 Now you add two new, very long options:
19
20 ./configure --host=${CHOST} \
21 --prefix=/usr \
22 --mandir=/usr/share/man \
23 --with-openssl-include=/usr/include/openssl \
24 --with-openssl-libraries=/usr/lib/openssl
25
26 Because of the alignment more lines than really necessary have to be
27 changed, which clutters the output of "cvs diff".
28
29 > I think we can do this by supplying a emacs/vi-mode for editing
30 > ebuilds. Those modes should be strict and force the developer to do
31 > it right.
32
33 Hm, it's easier to base the ebuild mode on Emacsen's sh-mode than to
34 write a new mode from scratch. But sh-mode doesn't allow tabs at the
35 end of lines; and I don't know if it is possible to change the mode's
36 behaviour easily.
37
38 After looking at Emacsen's sh-mode, I think that the following style,
39 that uses tabs at the beginning of lines and neither tabs nor spaces
40 at the end of lines, would be the easiest style to implement:
41
42 ./configure --host=${CHOST} \
43 --prefix=/usr \
44 --mandir=/usr/share/man