From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] removing the server profiles...
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:12:37
1 On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Panagiotis Christopoulos
2 <pchrist@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 00:36 Wed 16 Jan , Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 >> several people have pointed out to me that the 10.0 -> 13.0 transition would
5 >> be a good moment to finally remove the (also in my opinion rather useless)
6 >> server profiles.
9 > The server profiles are not useless, if we can maintain them, and if
10 > they actually are, nowadays, they shouldn't be.
11 >
12 > -1, unless other profile options being offered are "minimal" enough for the job
13 > and enabling certain things that someone may need in a server.
14
15 The problem, I think, is that 'server' is a very generic thing. Am I
16 looking for a NAS? A SAN? A web server? A proxy server? An X11
17 application server? A font server? VOIP?
18
19 If people who use the server profile are looking for a minimalist
20 profile, I think they'd probably be best served with a profile that's
21 specifically designed for "we disable everything we can to still wind
22 up with a working stage 3. Enable what you need from there."
23
24 That also suggests a way to help automate maintenance; if building a
25 stage 3 with the minimal profile fails, then either the package has a
26 bug or the profile needs an update...with a strong bias toward the
27 former.
30 :wq