From: Bernd Waibel <waebbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Request to add USE_EXPAND variable for freecad-0.18*+
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2019 16:18:08
1 Oh, ok I see. Thanks for your reply.
2
3 Am Mo., 3. Juni 2019 um 17:36 Uhr schrieb Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>:
4
5 > On Mon, 2019-06-03 at 17:24 +0200, Bernd Waibel wrote:
6 > > Hello Gentoo devs,
7 > >
8 > > I have been maintaining the Qt5 updated media-gfx/freecad-0.18* for some
9 > > time in my overlay[1]. As far as I can see, all dependencies have either
10 > > been released in the main portage tree, or have blocking bugs
11 > open[2][3][4].
12 > >
13 > > To develop the re-adding of the package further, I'd like to discuss the
14 > > possibility of adding a USE_EXPAND variable called FREECAD_MODULES as
15 > noted
16 > > in profiles/base/make.defaults.
19 > > Rationale
20 > > =======
21 > > FreeCAD has a modular design of different so-called workspaces. This
22 > > enables the program to be built for the particular purposes of i.e.
23 > > architectural CAD, engineering CAD, FEM, ship design and even raytracing
24 > or
25 > > robot simulation. Those workspaces can, to some extent, be built
26 > > independently of each other. They are dependant on some basic modules
27 > which
28 > > serve as the core engine of the program.
29 > >
30 > > To give the user the possibility to build FreeCAD depending on it's
31 > needs,
32 > > the FREECAD_MODULES should be used.
33 > >
34 > > Currently the variable has ~40 modules defined. For a complete list, I'd
35 > > like to refer to the ebuild in my overlay. I'm open for discussion on the
36 > > list of modules, it might be possible, that some of them are better
37 > placed
38 > > in USE flags.
39 > >
40 > > I hope, this variable get's an approval from the devs. I personally found
41 > > the alternative, to use a whole lot of USE flags less elegant than this
42 > > solution.
45 > If this is used by a single package only, it doesn't belong in
46 > USE_EXPAND. Just define local flags.
47 >
48 > --
49 > Best regards,
50 > Michał Górny