From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Init replacement
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 17:20:47
1 On Friday 02 May 2003 19:08, Jon Kent wrote:
2 > hmmm, interesting idea, but I have a lot of issues
3 > with this type of approach, namely:
4 >
5 > init scripts really need to be easy to maintain with
6 > external requirements kept to a minimum
9 Also the sample scripts are not quite normal XML, as with normal xml all
10 newlines get interpreted (Yes, I know you can use CDATA instead of PCDATA to
11 keep newlines) as normal whitespace. Also, the main advantage of xml is ease
12 of parsing and generation by DIFFERENT programs of complicated formats. Init
13 scripts are not complicated formats and need only be run/parsed by one
14 program that is the shell that it is a script for.
15
16 > script, generally, are the easiest, more readable
17 > approach to init scripts. You don't modify init
18 > scripts every day so remembering how you did things is
19 > a pain if its not script based
20
21 Quite my point
22 >
23 > I really do not want to learn yet another
24 > language/approach just to get daemons etc up and
25 > running on boot up
29 > I really do not see boot up speed as a problem, on
30 > servers and workstations you do not spend you life
31 > rebooting the things. I've had servers running for
32 > years without a reboot.
33
34 Init scripts could be faster, but the time lost is not spend waiting for init
35 scripts to be parsed. It is spend waiting for programs to actually start. For
36 that reason paralel init scripts can be useful, but a compiled init process
37 can add little in this.
38
39 > I must be honest and say that the Gentoo init system
40 > is not easiest in the world, I prefer the old
41 > rcX.d/Sxx[name] approach myself as its simple, but I'd
42 > still prefer the current approach over the proposed
43 > approach.
44
45 I find the Gentoo init system quite useful myself, but indeed it is a bit more
46 complicated than the S??[name] system. The tricks that redhat uses, to be
47 able to automate configuration though are a lot less clean than gentoo's.
48
49 Paul
52 Paul de Vrieze
53 Researcher