From: Jon Kent <j_d_kent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Init replacement
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 17:08:04
1 hmmm, interesting idea, but I have a lot of issues
2 with this type of approach, namely:
3
4 init scripts really need to be easy to maintain with
5 external requirements kept to a minimum
6
7 script, generally, are the easiest, more readable
8 approach to init scripts. You don't modify init
9 scripts every day so remembering how you did things is
10 a pain if its not script based
11
12 I really do not want to learn yet another
13 language/approach just to get daemons etc up and
14 running on boot up
15
16 I really do not see boot up speed as a problem, on
17 servers and workstations you do not spend you life
18 rebooting the things. I've had servers running for
19 years without a reboot.
20
21 I must be honest and say that the Gentoo init system
22 is not easiest in the world, I prefer the old
23 rcX.d/Sxx[name] approach myself as its simple, but I'd
24 still prefer the current approach over the proposed
25 approach.
26
27 My pennies worth
28
29 Jon
33 Do you Yahoo!?
34 The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.
35 http://search.yahoo.com
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list