From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proper distribution integration of kernel *-sources, patches and configuration.
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 17:35:34
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 12:20:09 -0400
5 "Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o> wrote:
6
7 > Some patches are reasonably easy to combine, such as genpatches and
8 > aufs. Some patches are difficult to combine, such as hardened and *.
9 > When you combine hardened patches and aufs (for example) you need
10 > extra patches. I would be THRILLED to see the number of sources cut
11 > down, but hardened-sources must be it's own thing (that said, I'll
12 > personally maintain the aufs patches for hardened if they wanted to
13 > add a USE=aufs flag).
14
15 Yes, gave it as an quick example but I indeed remember from going
16 through the sources ebuilds that hardened ebuilds do quite some things.
17 I think the downside from extending genpatches is that hardened-sources
18 can no longer rely on it, but we'll have to see that as we go forward.
19
20 I don't think that apart from hardened the optional patches on their own
21 are hard to combine; they each have their own separate goal, I don't
22 see them conflict on anything. If it happens once in a while, we can
23 still maintain them to work together.
24
25 Also note that I do not plan to introduce any USE flags, since that
26 would duplicate the options to be listed in the kernel menuconfig.
27
28 > If users want a vanilla kernel, they want vanilla-sources. Nothing
29 > about that should change. I don't feel that it would be honest to
30 > add a vanilla use flag to gentoo-sources as in no reality are those
31 > vanilla.
32
33 Apart from the changes discussed on the gentoo-kernel ML, nothing else
34 there will change. You can read the thread as well as the summary; if
35 you disagree, you're welcome to join the discussion there.
36
37 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.kernel/697
38
39 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.kernel/697/focus=730
40
41 But yes, apart from that, vanilla-sources will give you vanilla kernel.
42
43 - --
44 With kind regards,
45
46 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
47 Gentoo Developer
48
49 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
50 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
51 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D