From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proper distribution integration of kernel *-sources, patches and configuration.
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 17:50:29
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 07/01/2013 01:35 PM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 > On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 12:20:09 -0400
6 > "Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o> wrote:
7 >
8 >> Some patches are reasonably easy to combine, such as genpatches and
9 >> aufs. Some patches are difficult to combine, such as hardened and *.
10 >> When you combine hardened patches and aufs (for example) you need
11 >> extra patches. I would be THRILLED to see the number of sources cut
12 >> down, but hardened-sources must be it's own thing (that said, I'll
13 >> personally maintain the aufs patches for hardened if they wanted to
14 >> add a USE=aufs flag).
15 >
16 > Yes, gave it as an quick example but I indeed remember from going
17 > through the sources ebuilds that hardened ebuilds do quite some things.
18 > I think the downside from extending genpatches is that hardened-sources
19 > can no longer rely on it, but we'll have to see that as we go forward.
20 >
21 > I don't think that apart from hardened the optional patches on their own
22 > are hard to combine; they each have their own separate goal, I don't
23 > see them conflict on anything. If it happens once in a while, we can
24 > still maintain them to work together.
25
26 Hardened has K_WANT_GENPATCHES="base" which means it already doesn't
27 take the extra patches. We could either introduce a new flag for your
28 patches like K_WANT_GENPATCHES="base extra geek" or more likely make
29 each one with their own name so that hardened et al can take what they
30 like and leave the rest.
31 >
32 > Also note that I do not plan to introduce any USE flags, since that
33 > would duplicate the options to be listed in the kernel menuconfig.
34
35 Good point.
36
37 Thanks,
38 Zero
39 >
40 >> If users want a vanilla kernel, they want vanilla-sources. Nothing
41 >> about that should change. I don't feel that it would be honest to
42 >> add a vanilla use flag to gentoo-sources as in no reality are those
43 >> vanilla.
44 >
45 > Apart from the changes discussed on the gentoo-kernel ML, nothing else
46 > there will change. You can read the thread as well as the summary; if
47 > you disagree, you're welcome to join the discussion there.
48 >
49 > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.kernel/697
50 >
51 > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.kernel/697/focus=730
52 >
53 > But yes, apart from that, vanilla-sources will give you vanilla kernel.