From: Mike Pagano <mpagano@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proper distribution integration of kernel *-sources, patches and configuration.
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 00:19:46
1 On Monday, July 01, 2013 01:52:10 PM Rick Zero_Chaos Farina wrote:
2 > On 07/01/2013 01:35 PM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 12:20:09 -0400
4 > >
5 > > "Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> Some patches are reasonably easy to combine, such as genpatches and
7 > >> aufs. Some patches are difficult to combine, such as hardened and *.
8 > >> When you combine hardened patches and aufs (for example) you need
9 > >> extra patches. I would be THRILLED to see the number of sources cut
10 > >> down, but hardened-sources must be it's own thing (that said, I'll
11 > >> personally maintain the aufs patches for hardened if they wanted to
12 > >> add a USE=aufs flag).
13 > >
14 > > Yes, gave it as an quick example but I indeed remember from going
15 > > through the sources ebuilds that hardened ebuilds do quite some things.
16 > > I think the downside from extending genpatches is that hardened-sources
17 > > can no longer rely on it, but we'll have to see that as we go forward.
18 > >
19 > > I don't think that apart from hardened the optional patches on their own
20 > > are hard to combine; they each have their own separate goal, I don't
21 > > see them conflict on anything. If it happens once in a while, we can
22 > > still maintain them to work together.
23 >
24 > Hardened has K_WANT_GENPATCHES="base" which means it already doesn't
25 > take the extra patches. We could either introduce a new flag for your
26 > patches like K_WANT_GENPATCHES="base extra geek" or more likely make
27 > each one with their own name so that hardened et al can take what they
28 > like and leave the rest.
29
30 Ok, so I have talked to Tom about this on IRC and it's probably prudent to
31 chime in. I have gotten many complaints in the past that there is not enough
32 in g-s, and, of course, I've gotten complaints about there being too much.
33
34 I have 'relaxed' a tad about what I think should be in g-s, but maybe it has
35 gone a bit farther than I wanted it too.
36
37 I would like to see a "-experimental" use flag and base,extras,geek (whatever)
38 so that g-s goes back to what it's original goal was with nothing non-upstream
39 unless the user does a configuration change themselves.
40
41 This will actually help us solve both issues.
42
43 1) it will allow us to pull g-s back to it's original goal as a minimal
44 kernel sources with upstream only patches.
45 2) we can carry some patches from upstreams trees that possibly aren't yet in
46 -next, or not yet accepted to mainline but do provide some benefit to a smaller
47 group of our users. (Thinking about our thinkpad patches)
51 Mike Pagano
52 Gentoo Developer - Kernel Project
53 E-Mail : mpagano@g.o
54 GnuPG FP : EEE2 601D 0763 B60F 848C 9E14 3C33 C650 B576 E4E3
55 Public Key : http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0xB576E4E3&op=index