From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The status of the 'minor' arches in gentoo
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 09:19:35
1 On 17 February 2013 22:46, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 02/17/2013 11:03 AM, Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
3 >>
4 >> In the last time I'm helping some other arches (also arches which I have
5 >> no
6 >> interest) because they appears understaffed.
7 >>
8 >> Days ago, I tried to make a virtual machine with qemu, for SH since the
9 >> dev-
10 >> machine[1] is a bit slow; well, I discovered we have no ISO[2] available
11 >> and
12 >> there is no handbook[3] for it.
13 >>
14 >> The same thing is for S390/S390X/M68K/. So how I am able to install one of
15 >> that _supported_ arches if there isn't any sort of guide?
16 >>
17 >> An interesting fact is that we have an handbook for MIPS[4], a declared
18 >> unsupported architecture (does not make sense for me).
19 >
20 > I am supporting mips for the Lemote loongson2f and for the Atheros AR7161.
21 > I'm trying to get my hands on a godson and Stuart will be sending me two
22 > fulongs, which you can add to that list. Don't let the fact that MIPS is a
23 > ~arch fool you. I don't think we should make it a fully supported arch
24 > because of the number of ISA's and ABI's and endiannesses (if such a word
25 > exists). It is impossible to test for all combos which is what stable
26 > should mean.
27 >
28 > So don't even think of dropping MIPS! Just leave it ~arch and I'll give it
29 > love.
30
31 I agree with you. MIPS is not going away and the reason we only
32 support ~mips is like you said the vast diversity in hardware and
33 software components. But I think nobody said to drop MIPS right? ;)
36 > As far as the other arches go, I'm interested in: amd64, arm, mips, ppc,
37 > ppc64 and x86.
38
39 ppc and ppc64 used to lack manpower. They appear to be in a better
40 state now that Agostino is doing mass stabilisations for them, but I
41 am not sure if the packages are actually tested during runtime or they
42 are just tested for build problems.
47 Regards,
48 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
49 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang