From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC GLEP 1005: Package Tags
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 18:23:27
1 On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 2:45 AM, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 23:48:06 +0000
4 > hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
5 >
7 > > Hash: SHA512
8 > >
9 > > Alec Warner:
10 > > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Package_Tags
11 > > >
12 > > > Object or forever hold your peace.
13 > > >
14 > > > Or argue for 100 posts, either way.
15 > >
16 > > Sounds good, but how do we get consistency in there? I mean... this
17 > > only works if we have some sort of consensus about tag names, at least
18 > > more common ones.
19 >
20 > By aggregating a global list of tag names; that way, when you tag a
21 > package you can look for tags on the global list that apply to it, and
22 > if it happens two different ways to name something were brought up you
23 > can also discuss it with one another. I don't think the inconsistency
24 > would become of a size to be concerned about; but yes, at the very
25 > least we need to watch out in the beginning to not let it happen...
26 >
27 > Though, choosing the right tag naming early on might be a need for
28 > this to succeed; maybe we can brainstorm some examples of how packages
29 > would be tagged, to get an idea about it.
32 This is basically the same problem with USE flags. Personally I also
33 dislike global USE flags on multiple levels, so I'm not entirely interested
34 in tag consistency. That being said, I wouldn't object to such a feature
35 very strongly. I don't consider it a blocker to GLEP adoption, merely a
36 concern that we can address later.
37
38 -A
41 > --
42 > With kind regards,
43 >
44 > Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
45 > Gentoo Developer
46 >
47 > E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
48 > GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
49 > GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D