From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The request to abolish games team policy
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 18:12:04
1 Rich Freeman:
2 > On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 6:26 PM, Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Rich, if I may have a suggestion, it would be that instead of meddling
4 >> with projects that have been doing their best with what they have for
5 >> years, and which need praise rather than hindrance, you instead start
6 >> a project to get people to think positively and accept criticism. The
7 >> amount of energy that was spent in this thread and many others in pure
8 >> loss could have gone a long way.
9 >
10 > The only thing that I've offered to do is to help people join the
11 > games team, which is supposed to be an open team anyway. That is
12 > about the extent of the "meddling" that I've proposed. I've yet to
13 > hear anybody on the games team comment that more help would not be
14 > welcome.
15 >
16 > That said, I've also yet to hear from anybody actually interested in
17 > joining the games team. So, that idea may not end up going anywhere
18 > anyway. The premise has been that there are people interested in
19 > working on games but they've been prevented from doing so, and working
20 > to help improve the games team from within is better than imposing
21 > direction from above.
22 >
23 > If indeed nobody actually wants to join the games team, then the next
24 > question is whether to leave things alone, or to find another
25 > solution. Either way I'd like to hear more from anybody who actually
26 > wants to maintain games packages but feels they have been unable to do
27 > so. Simply changing policies won't make actual work happen.
28 >
29 > Rich
32 I appreciate your effort, but what can you do about it?
33
34 a) I'm not sure if I want to be in a team where vapier is lead. I have a
35 lot of respect for his technical skills/knowledge, but I don't have any
36 hopes for him to understand what a project lead is supposed to do
37 (like... answer).
38 b) I don't want the games team to be disbanded like QA, it will probably
39 make the situation worse.
40
41 I will continue to work with Mr_Bones_, but if any1 says there is no
42 problem with the games project, then he either doesn't know anything
43 about the situation or he doesn't want to know.
44
45 Again, you seem to be the only council member who cares to mediate here.
46 That is pretty frustrating.