From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item: LINGUAS USE_EXPAND renamed to L10N
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2016 09:18:01
1 >>>>> On Mon, 6 Jun 2016, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2
3 > Ulrich Mueller schrieb:
4 >> Question related to this, do we take the opportunity to standardise
5 >> the values? Looks like the vast majority follows
6 >> language[_territory][@modifier] specified by POSIX [1] but some
7 >> don't.
8
9 > What do we do with locales that don't fit into this scheme? Catalan
10 > Valencian is one such locale.
11 > Packages currently use modifiers (ca@valencia) or ISO 3166-1
12 > reserved area (ca_XV) or something entirely different (ca_valencia).
13
14 According to [1], "valencia" is a valid variant subtag, therefore
15 ca@valencia should be fine.
16
17 > ISO 3166-1:ES defines ES-VC as region code, so maybe ca_ES-VC would
18 > be best. Though a quick Google search didn't find any major usage of
19 > that either.
20
21 Neither XV nor ES-VC are registered as a subtag though, so presumably
22 these should be avoided.
23
24 Ulrich
25