From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item: LINGUAS USE_EXPAND renamed to L10N
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2016 08:43:57
1 Ulrich Mueller schrieb:
2 >>>>>> On Mon, 06 Jun 2016, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
3 >
4 >> Usually only two letter language codes suffice, but can be limited with
5 >> country codes with a 'll_CC' formatting, where 'll' is the language code
6 >> and 'CC' is the country code, e.g en_GB. Some rare languages also have
7 >> three letter language codes.
8 >
9 > s/country code/territory code/g
10 >
11 > Question related to this, do we take the opportunity to standardise
12 > the values? Looks like the vast majority follows
13 > language[_territory][@modifier] specified by POSIX [1] but some don't.
14
15 What do we do with locales that don't fit into this scheme? Catalan Valencian
16 is one such locale.
17 Packages currently use modifiers (ca@valencia) or ISO 3166-1 reserved area
18 (ca_XV) or something entirely different (ca_valencia).
19 ISO 3166-1:ES defines ES-VC as region code, so maybe ca_ES-VC would be best.
20 Though a quick Google search didn't find any major usage of that either.
23 Best regards,
24 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn