From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Why isn't /root/.bash_profile in the stage tarballs?
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:19:38
1 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2
3 > Steve Long wrote:
4 >> Great. What exactly? How does fulfilling the user requirement with
5 >> vapier's solution mess up catalyst?
6 >
7 > This is the the first time I've heard of a user requesting this change. It
8 > seems to me that many people prefer to *not* have a .bash{rc,_profile} in
9 > /root, which is the way it's always been. Why not just add the ability to
10 > copy these files with 'emerge --config' to certain ebuilds, and then add a
11 > note to the handbook telling users to run the command if they want to?
12 >
13 > Even better, just tell the users to run 'cp -a /etc/skel/* /root/' if they
14 > really want the stuff, and not modify any ebuilds at all?
15 >
16 That sounds fine to me; my personal feeling is that I prefer to set my own
17 stuff up, and certainly don't want ebuilds touching /root. Having a sane
18 default in the stage 3 for new users seemed reasonable, however, and as
19 vapier said that can only be done when building the stage.
20
21 The user education approach does sound better.
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list