From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Initial python-r1.eclass & distutils-r1.eclass
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 08:59:03
1 On 30-09-2012 10:31:17 +0200, Pacho Ramos wrote:
2 > > > Personally, I usually run:
3 > > > - python_clean_py-compile_files -> Clean py-compile files to disable
4 > > > byte-compilation allowing us to drop all various ways of doing this that
5 > > > were living in the tree some time ago.
6 > >
7 > > Hmm, what's the problem with compiling them? Do you mean some case when
8 > > the results of the compilation are different from the way done
9 > > by the eclass?
12 > Well, if I don't misremember, we currently prefer to compile them at
13 > postinst phase instead of during src_compile, but maybe this is no
14 > longer needed (no idea :( )
15
16 The files are indeed cache, and should be generated on the system that
17 installs the files, not the system that builds them. They are currently
18 outside of VDB. pyc files store the path to the original files, so
19 generating in ${ROOT} yields in wrong paths. Python sometimes
20 regenerates the files when it runs. It may as well just ignore them
21 (since they are newer but non-matching, unclear to me). In the worst
22 case it returns "Bad marshalling data".
26 Fabian Groffen
27 Gentoo on a different level