From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: grobian@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Initial python-r1.eclass & distutils-r1.eclass
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 13:29:33
1 On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:58:06 +0200
2 Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 30-09-2012 10:31:17 +0200, Pacho Ramos wrote:
5 > > > > Personally, I usually run:
6 > > > > - python_clean_py-compile_files -> Clean py-compile files to disable
7 > > > > byte-compilation allowing us to drop all various ways of doing this that
8 > > > > were living in the tree some time ago.
9 > > >
10 > > > Hmm, what's the problem with compiling them? Do you mean some case when
11 > > > the results of the compilation are different from the way done
12 > > > by the eclass?
13 > > >
14 > >
15 > > Well, if I don't misremember, we currently prefer to compile them at
16 > > postinst phase instead of during src_compile, but maybe this is no
17 > > longer needed (no idea :( )
18 >
19 > The files are indeed cache, and should be generated on the system that
20 > installs the files, not the system that builds them. They are currently
21 > outside of VDB. pyc files store the path to the original files, so
22 > generating in ${ROOT} yields in wrong paths. Python sometimes
23 > regenerates the files when it runs. It may as well just ignore them
24 > (since they are newer but non-matching, unclear to me). In the worst
25 > case it returns "Bad marshalling data".
26
27 Hmm, so python-distutils-ng was wrong from the beginning and nobody
28 cared to point it out?
31 Best regards,
32 Michał Górny