From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugzilla etiquette suggestions
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 23:34:05
1 Marien Zwart wrote:
2 > I think this is too much effort, especially for small corrections. I
3 > tend to fix them myself, commit with a message like "...based on an
4 > ebuild from ... (bug #....)" and comment on the bug like "Committed
5 > with minor changes". It would probably be a good thing if I went into
6 > a bit more detail about what the "minor changes" were and why I made
7 > them, I guess :)
8
9 Perhaps you could try this a couple of times when the opportunity next
10 arises. If done well, you only need to type a sentence or two if it is
11 just minor issues that need correcting. Also bookmark Ciaran's nice mini
12 FAQ which covers lots of common mistakes:
13
14 http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm/docs/mw-faq
15
16 It may feel a little harsh to give someone a canned response just by
17 pasting a URL in the comment field, but curious readers will find his
18 faq.txt which explains nicely that we aren't evil/lazy, we just have a
19 lot of work to do. Thanks Ciaran!
20
21 I guess the only other downside to this approach is that it delays the
22 fix - instead of fixing it right then, you have to wait for another
23 round of communication to complete before closing the bug. That is
24 undesirable for people with busy schedules.
25
26 Thanks for the feedback.
27 Daniel
28 --