From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 01:22:22
1 On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 20:05:45 -0500 "Nathan L. Adams" <nadams@××××.org>
2 wrote:
3 | Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 19:45:08 -0500 "Nathan L. Adams"
5 | > <nadams@××××.org>
6 | > wrote:
7 | > | Just keep in mind that portage is supposed to be non-interactive
8 | > | and most users like it that way. (Although the countdown when
9 | > | cleaning out old packages kinda breaks that idea, but I digress.)
10 | >
11 | > You really should give the GLEP a read. It's quite nice, you know...
12 | >
13 |
14 | Your explanations hint at interacting with portage during an emerge.
15 | Specifically you floated the idea of having emerge print a red flashy
16 | message before doing the emerge. *That* is what I was commenting on.
17
18 Ever noticed any of the other red flashies that emerge gives? For
19 example, if you try emerge -C glibc? Doesn't break the non-interactive
20 requirement, it's just yet another way of shoving something in the
21 user's face if they somehow ignore all the normal warnings.
24 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
25 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
26 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm