From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: eclass/
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2019 04:03:19
1 On Thu, 2019-09-05 at 01:26 +0200, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On 2019-09-04 20:59, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Devmanual is pretty clear on the fact that *all* new eclasses require ml
6 > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
7 > > review *before* committing:
8 >
9 > I am also working on a new eclass so I looked up details regarding
10 > what's needed to add a new eclass recently.
11 >
12 > I must say that I disagree that it's *pretty* clear.
13 >
14 > > Adding and Updating Eclasses
15 > >
16 > > Before committing a new eclass to the tree, it should be emailed
17 > > ^^^^^^
18 > > to the gentoo-dev mailing list with a justification and a
19 > > proposed implementation. Do not skip this step — sometimes a
20 > > better implementation or an alternative which does not require a
21 > > new eclass will be suggested.
22 > >
23 > > Before updating [...]
24 > >
25 > > The exceptions to this rule are per-package eclasses. For
26 > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
27 > > example, the apache-2 eclass is only used by the www-servers/apache
28 > > package, and thus does not typically require changes to be emailed
29 > > for review.
30 >
31 > In my case I am working on a new mysql eclass to outsource pkg_config
32 > function which is shared at least between dev-db/mysql and
33 > dev-db/percona-server (and maybe dev-db/mariadb).
34 >
35 > For this new eclass I would say it's a "per-package" eclass and would
36 > probably have skipped mailing list review, too.
37
38 Everyone can skip as many paragraphs as they want, and then apply what's
39 said later to something said way earlier.
42 > If you want to make it clear, change "should" to "must" and maybe
43 > clarify per-package exception and limit to update case if you believe
44 > that really *all* *new* eclasses must be send to mailing list.
45
46 Submit a part. This is a community effort. Nitpicking and complaining
47 doesn't make things better. Fixing them does.
53 Best regards,
54 Michał Górny