From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: eclass/
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2019 13:15:10
1 On 2019-09-05 06:02, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >> In my case I am working on a new mysql eclass to outsource pkg_config
3 >> function which is shared at least between dev-db/mysql and
4 >> dev-db/percona-server (and maybe dev-db/mariadb).
5 >>
6 >> For this new eclass I would say it's a "per-package" eclass and would
7 >> probably have skipped mailing list review, too.
8 >
9 > Everyone can skip as many paragraphs as they want, and then apply what's
10 > said later to something said way earlier.
11
12 Could you please stop adding any bad interpretation?
13
14 That was a serious question. For you, it's pretty clear. I am showing
15 you, that for me, it isn't pretty clear. When you believe I skipped
16 important lines in my quote please outline what I have missed and I will
17 take the blame.
20 >> If you want to make it clear, change "should" to "must" and maybe
21 >> clarify per-package exception and limit to update case if you believe
22 >> that really *all* *new* eclasses must be send to mailing list.
23 >
24 > Submit a part. This is a community effort. Nitpicking and complaining
25 > doesn't make things better. Fixing them does.
26
27 Sure, but at the moment *you* are the one who are saying it's a MUST. I
28 don't understand it that way and I am fine with my understanding that
29 per-package eclasses *should* but *must not* get reviewed through
30 mailing list. In other words I am asking you to show us where it's
31 written that *all* *new* eclasses *must* get reviewed through mailing
32 list. I cannot find something like that in current devmanual (the link
33 you showed).
34
35 Maybe I am still missing something after reading
36 https://devmanual.gentoo.org/eclass-writing/ 3 times...
37
38 In case I am not missing anything I suggested to improve devmanual in
39 case you believe this should be a hard requirement. Because at the
40 moment I don't believe it should be a hard requirement, *I* will not
41 propose any changes.
45 Regards,
46 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
47 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5