From: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reorganization of /var/lib gentoo-related files
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 21:37:29
1 Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 31 of December 2008 17:28:09 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> You could use the same argument to say "Gentoo must switch to RPM
4 >> because LSB says so".
5 >
6 > No, I would be invalid argumentation - I know it - you know it, so let's not
7 > continue with discussion of this kind until one side will EOT seeing it's
8 > pointless, while the other side will secretly announce epic victory ;)
9
10 I actually agreed with Ciaran on this point. especially seeing I would
11 like us to follow the parts of LSB that make sense within the Gentoo
12 ecosystem. (take Init Script Actions as an possible example
13 http://refspecs.linux-foundation.org/LSB_3.2.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/iniscrptact.html).
16 > It's not the point to blindly follow freedesktop or LSB - the point is to
17 > consistently follow one standard across whole distribution - if it's FHS -
18 > fine, if not - fine as well - but *only one* at a time.
19 >
20 > That being said I'd rather propose to force Gentoo news to comply to
21 FHS as
22 > FHS is the most commonly used file/directory layout in Gentoo.
25 This really is bikeshedding...... Isn't consistently following a
26 standard also blindly following it. So when you ask us to consistently
27 follow FHS why not ask for us to blindly follow it.
28
29 Man this is getting boring.
30
31 > cheers in new year