From: Geert Bevin <gbevin@×××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuilds for kde3 beta etc.
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 02:28:00
1 Mikael Hallendal wrote:
2
3 > I wasn't talking about just KDE, but if we put KDE in I can't see why we
4 > couldn't put all alpha-releases. And others might break things. So can
5 > KDE3 if it installs over other files (like pilot-link installing over
6 > glibc and stuff).
7 >
8 > And what I'm talking about here is not that the actual code is beta
9 > (since very much of what is in portage now is "beta"). I'm talking about
10 > beta-releases (which are only meant for developers of KDE/GNOME/foo,
11 > depending on what kind of packages it is).
15 Personally I'm not so hot either that these ebuilds would propagate to
16 every regular user. However, using cvs for developers to make it easy to
17 test the ebuilds is of course the best way to do so. Why not put them in
18 gentoo-src in a dedicated ebuild-beta directory. That way, the best of
19 both world are met. Another idea might be for rsync to filter out all
20 masked ebuilds. However I don't know if this would be possible. Starting
21 to branch the cvs into stable / development ebuilds seems a bit too much
22 of a hassle currently. After the release of 1.0 this might however be
23 the best way to proceed.
27 Geert Bevin
28 the Leaf sprl/bvba
29 "Use what you need" Pierre Theunisstraat 1/47
30 http://www.theleaf.be
31 1030 Brussels
32 gbevin@×××××××.be
33 Tel & Fax +32 2 241 19 98