From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuilds for kde3 beta etc.
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 17:08:47
1 sön 2001-12-23 klockan 15.07 skrev Dan Armak:
2 > On Sunday 23 December 2001 15:44, you wrote:
3 > > That is why I'm against putting untested early-beta software in the
4 > > packagesystem. Because no matter how much unsupported they are, we will
5 > > always end up support it.
6 > Well, I don't think kde could break anything but kde apps. And I'm willing to
7 > support the beta ebuilds.
8
9 I wasn't talking about just KDE, but if we put KDE in I can't see why we
10 couldn't put all alpha-releases. And others might break things. So can
11 KDE3 if it installs over other files (like pilot-link installing over
12 glibc and stuff).
13
14 And what I'm talking about here is not that the actual code is beta
15 (since very much of what is in portage now is "beta"). I'm talking about
16 beta-releases (which are only meant for developers of KDE/GNOME/foo,
17 depending on what kind of packages it is).
18
19 > Of course I'd put up a 'don't use unless you know what you're doing' notice,
20 > and mask them thoroughly. And support would be probably slower/more sparse,
21 > but not necessarily so since I'll probably be using kde3 myself all the time
22 > before long, and I know some other people will do so too before the final
23 > release.
24
25 Yes probably, and that is what frightens me.
26
27 > As for problems that are rooted in kde3 as such (not just beta trouble), the
28 > more input and testers the better - as long as they understand that it's not
29 > *supposed* to be stable. As I've said, better solve these now than when
30 > kde3-final comes out.
31
32 Problems that come out of your ebuilds, yes, but really, if the tarballs
33 used had been tested before being made available in Portage the job of
34 finding errors in the ebuilds would be less.
35
36 Regards,
37 Mikael Hallendal
41 Mikael Hallendal
42 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
43 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden