From: Guido Bakker <guidob@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuilds for kde3 beta etc.
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:59:25
1 That's why kde should install in its own directory... It's too big, just like
2 X11R6...
5 Guido
6
7 sön 2001-12-23 klockan 15.07 skrev Dan Armak:
8 > On Sunday 23 December 2001 15:44, you wrote:
9 > > That is why I'm against putting untested early-beta software in the
10 > > packagesystem. Because no matter how much unsupported they are, we
11
12 will
13
14 > > always end up support it.
15 >
16 > Well, I don't think kde could break anything but kde apps. And I'm
17
18 willing to
19
20 > support the beta ebuilds.
21
22 I wasn't talking about just KDE, but if we put KDE in I can't see why we
23 couldn't put all alpha-releases. And others might break things. So can
24 KDE3 if it installs over other files (like pilot-link installing over
25 glibc and stuff).
26
27 And what I'm talking about here is not that the actual code is beta
28 (since very much of what is in portage now is "beta"). I'm talking about
29 beta-releases (which are only meant for developers of KDE/GNOME/foo,
30 depending on what kind of packages it is).
31
32 > Of course I'd put up a 'don't use unless you know what you're doing'
33
34 notice,
35
36 > and mask them thoroughly. And support would be probably slower/more
37
38 sparse,
39
40 > but not necessarily so since I'll probably be using kde3 myself all
41
42 the time
43
44 > before long, and I know some other people will do so too before the
45
46 final
47
48 > release.
49
50 Yes probably, and that is what frightens me.
51
52 > As for problems that are rooted in kde3 as such (not just beta
53
54 trouble), the
55
56 > more input and testers the better - as long as they understand that
57
58 it's not
59
60 > *supposed* to be stable. As I've said, better solve these now than
61
62 when
63
64 > kde3-final comes out.
65
66 Problems that come out of your ebuilds, yes, but really, if the tarballs
67 used had been tested before being made available in Portage the job of
68 finding errors in the ebuilds would be less.
69
70 Regards,
71 Mikael Hallendal