From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org, dev-portage@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: For starters.. requirements of the portage API
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 12:33:09
1 On Sunday 06 March 2005 21:09, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 12:50 +0100, Fredrik Klasson wrote:
4 > > Hash: SHA1
5 > >
6 > > Chris White wrote:
7 > > | 2) access to an internal download library built into portage (not wget
8 > > | or some such). This would not only allow us to do basic downloading,
9 > > | but also address new protocols that come later on.
10 > >
11 > > uhm, just a radnom thought struck me, why re-invent the wheel? What I'm
12 > > thinking is that, why not simply provide some Download Abstraction Layer
13 > > (DAL) or something like that, ie, "downloadThisFileForMe(filename);"
14 >
15 > I think that was the idea.
16 > You tell portage "use that download wrapper" in a config file, then just
17 > invoke "portage.fetch("URI")
18
19 I think URI is even taking it too far. Even fetching of individual files
20 doesn't seem to be required. All that's really needed is to tell portage to
21 fetch the required files for any particular package.
22
23 If you want to be able to download individual files for use outside of portage
24 then you'll need to know where they are going and whatever else. If you want
25 all that, you can grab the URI from SRC_URI and do it manually.
26
27 Regards,
28 Jason Stubbs
29 --