From: Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: the demise of grub:0
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 13:13:17
1 On 10/04/2016 12:45 AM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
2 > -1
3 >
4 > I'd love to move to grub2 for all of my machines, but it does simply not
5 > work for one of my servers. I can install grub2 and it tells me that
6 > installation and anything else went fine, but when I try to boot with it, it
7 > stops and reports me that it found some conflicting area in my bios why it
8 > cannot work (sorry, I tell this from my memory, I've tried it quite some
9 > time ago). Mr. Google says that this may happen for some hardware, but has
10 > no solution to it.
11
12 Was this ever reported in bugs.gentoo.org?
15 > So, what are my options (or other people's options with such incompatible
16 > hardware) without grub 1? Lilo?
17
18 Grub could also be an option depending on what version you tried. If
19 you only tested against the stable versions, a second check would be in
20 order as 2.02_beta3-r1 went stable recently.
21
22 -Nick
25 > - Jörg
28 > William Hubbs wrote:
29 >
30 >> All,
31 >>
32 >> I want to look into removing grub:0 from the tree; here are my thoughts
33 >> on why it should go.
34 >>
35 >> - the handbook doesn't document grub:0; we officially only support
36 >> grub:2.
37 >>
38 >> - There are multiple bugs open against grub:0 (15 at my last count). A
39 >> number of these as I understand it are because of custom patches we
40 >> apply.
41 >>
42 >> - grub:0 can't boot a nomultilib system, so we have to maintain a
43 >> separate package (grub-static) specifically for that setup.
44 >>
45 >> - Removing grub:0 from the tree doesn't stop you from using it. If people
46 >> really want it I will place it in the graveyard overlay.
47 >>
48 >> - We have custom patches for grub:0, which will never go upstream.
49 >>
50 >> - grub:0 is dead upstream. They have not done any work on it in years.
51 >>
52 >> - The only real problem with grub:2 has to do with pperception. Yes,
53 >> their documentation has a strong preference toward using their
54 >> configuration script (grub-mkconfig) to generate your grub.cfg, but
55 >> this is not required.
56 >>
57 >> So, I want to make a plan to lastrite grub:0 and grub-static.
58 >>
59 >> I'm thinking, in about a week, p.mask grub:0 along with grub-static and
60 >> send out a lastrites msg with a 30 day removal notice.
61 >>
62 >> If there any technical objections to this, let me know what they are.
63 >>
64 >> Thanks,
65 >>
66 >> William