From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: the demise of grub:0
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 08:00:41
1 -1
2
3 I'd love to move to grub2 for all of my machines, but it does simply not
4 work for one of my servers. I can install grub2 and it tells me that
5 installation and anything else went fine, but when I try to boot with it, it
6 stops and reports me that it found some conflicting area in my bios why it
7 cannot work (sorry, I tell this from my memory, I've tried it quite some
8 time ago). Mr. Google says that this may happen for some hardware, but has
9 no solution to it.
10
11 So, what are my options (or other people's options with such incompatible
12 hardware) without grub 1? Lilo?
13
14 - Jörg
17 William Hubbs wrote:
18
19 > All,
20 >
21 > I want to look into removing grub:0 from the tree; here are my thoughts
22 > on why it should go.
23 >
24 > - the handbook doesn't document grub:0; we officially only support
25 > grub:2.
26 >
27 > - There are multiple bugs open against grub:0 (15 at my last count). A
28 > number of these as I understand it are because of custom patches we
29 > apply.
30 >
31 > - grub:0 can't boot a nomultilib system, so we have to maintain a
32 > separate package (grub-static) specifically for that setup.
33 >
34 > - Removing grub:0 from the tree doesn't stop you from using it. If people
35 > really want it I will place it in the graveyard overlay.
36 >
37 > - We have custom patches for grub:0, which will never go upstream.
38 >
39 > - grub:0 is dead upstream. They have not done any work on it in years.
40 >
41 > - The only real problem with grub:2 has to do with pperception. Yes,
42 > their documentation has a strong preference toward using their
43 > configuration script (grub-mkconfig) to generate your grub.cfg, but
44 > this is not required.
45 >
46 > So, I want to make a plan to lastrite grub:0 and grub-static.
47 >
48 > I'm thinking, in about a week, p.mask grub:0 along with grub-static and
49 > send out a lastrites msg with a 30 day removal notice.
50 >
51 > If there any technical objections to this, let me know what they are.
52 >
53 > Thanks,
54 >
55 > William