From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Using cvs as your portage directory
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 22:49:18
1 On Tuesday 23 March 2004 22:25, Joel Martin wrote:
2 > Thoughts anyone? Especially from you new devs?
3 >
4 > Joel Martin (kanaka)
5
6 One advantage is that you don't have to wait for an hour for the rsync mirrors
7 to catch up with any commits you've made.
8
9 But the tree has reached the size where syncing the entire tree from CVS is
10 very slow - and it must put a strain on the CVS server too. I wonder if we
11 should seriously start looking to migrate from CVS to something a little more
12 network friendly ...
13
14 What would be great would be if Portage supported more than one
15 PORTDIR_OVERLAY tree on the same box. Then you can have a local Portage tree
16 for developing new ebuilds, then the CVS one to commit and test in, and
17 finally the rsync tree to catch all the ebuilds missing from the other two
18 trees. That sounds like it'd be a good compromise.
19
20 Best regards,
21 Stu
22 --
23 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
24 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
25 Missed the php|cruise? http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/cruise-2004/
26
27 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
28 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list