From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SRC_URI component naming collision
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:16:13
1 On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 21:40 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > The issue is whether you have the right to leave broken packages in the
3 > tree. I don't see any policy document granting you that right.
4
5 From a discussion in #-portage, I understand that ferringb has already
6 told the QA team that file clashes in distfiles is legitimate, and has
7 no interest in implementing DEST_PREFIX support to tackle the problem.
8
9 Unfortunately, I don't have a mailing list post or an IRC log of that
10 discussion between ferringb and the QA team to reference here :(
11
12 > Sure. And if upstream won't even cooperate to the extent of renaming a
13 > file, how do you expect them to react when we require something less
14 > trvial?
15
16 It's still not the issue here, no matter how you try and re-introduce it
17 to the discussion.
18
19 > It's so bad a problem that you even had to document it in the user
20 > guide and tell people to use some nasty hacked workaround.
21
22 "so bad a problem"? "nasty hacked workaround"?
23
24 I don't understand why you feel the need to be so alarmist over this.
25
26 > We don't have a legitimate demonstration package, and we're not going
27 > to go and ask the Portage team to make code changes to support
28 > hypothetical speculation. You're the only one with a test case here.
29
30 I don't agree - you're the ones making a mountain out of a grain of sand
31 - but anyway. I've had a chat in #-portage, and there's no support for
32 adding DEST_PREFIX into Portage at this time.
33
34 > | Please stop spreading FUD, and libelling my name here.
35 >
36 > You've closed that bug five times now without fixing it.
37
38 Yes I have.
39
40 I carefully considered the QA team's concerns, and the proposed
41 solutions, and felt that - in this specific case - the bug doesn't have
42 enough merit. And then the bug degenerated into the QA team being
43 repeatedly asked - and unable to provide - any evidence that they're
44 entitled to push for the package to be removed.
45
46 What's your excuse? :)
47
48 Best regards,
49 Stu
50 --
51 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
52 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
53 http://blog.stuartherbert.com/
54
55 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
56 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C